[plt-scheme] to define, or to let

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Sun Mar 21 12:36:04 EST 2004

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2004, at 9:36 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > 2. MzScheme is not actually R5RS-compliant.
>
> Thanks for not caring about a standard that's subpar.
> >
> > 3. Changing MzScheme's `letrec' to match R5RS.
> >
> > I don't know.
>
> Please don't. It is perfectly okay if someone wants to make the RnRS
> language in DrScheme conforming to some ill-defined,
> committee-regulated (non)standard. I never use that language. But keep
> mzscheme clean.
>
> I'd like to thank Matthew here for showing with mzscheme that Scheme is
> a language that is worthy of some consideration. Without his efforts,
> Scheme wouldn't deserve the attention that it still gets.

I thank Matthew and the entire PLT team for what they've created.

But, I'd encourage taking standards seriously, too.  I'd say a Scheme
standard is at least as important to Scheme as Matthew is.  ;o)

BTW, I do use the R5RS language, and rather like it, because it's very
portable.  Despite loving PLT Scheme, there are things it doesn't do, like
run on the JVM, for example.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.