[plt-scheme] no text in drscheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 20 10:54:22 EST 2004

At Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:51:58 -0700, John Nielsen wrote:
> I don't know if this is a DrScheme issue or if it's a FreeBSD/X issue, so I
> I recently did an upgrade of several ports on my system, DrScheme being one
> of them.  Now when I run it, there is no visible text in any of the menus
> or dialog boxes.  The buttons and other controls are there, just sans text.
> Has anyone ever seen this before?  Any ideas for what I could check?

Something to do with fonts? If you run

   mred -e '(get-font-from-user)'

then presumably you get a dialog with no labels on any of the controls.
But if you click on the list box on the left and change the selection
with the arrow keys, do any of the selections show text?

You might try editing your .plt-prefs.ss to add something like

  (|MrEd:ScreenSystem__| "-*-lucida")

I suggest "-*-lucida" on the following hunch: your build of DrScheme
supports Xft fonts, but for some reason it's not working right. Maybe
your X server didn't support the RENDER extension before, so Xft was
disabled before. Maybe RENDER is now available, and the font libraries
are available, but no fonts can be found. In that case, a font pattern
like "-*-lucida" uses the old X font system, instead.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.