[plt-scheme] creating a standalone

From: Joshua Zucker (Joshua_Zucker at castilleja.org)
Date: Mon Mar 15 12:04:18 EST 2004

Hi,
I'm a high school math teacher whose previous programming experience is
fortran and C on VMS and Unix, and now here I am having read HtDP and
trying to teach my students how to use Scheme on Mac OSX (and many of my
students, on Windows at home).  It's working surprisingly well given how
ignorant I am about programming!

Right now they're working on projects using the draw.ss teachpack:
tic-tac-toe, "snake", "space invaders" (based on the UFO / AUP extended
exercise), and tetris.  I made a connect four game (though it's strategy
engine is currently "move at random", at least the GUI works and it can
tell when you win or lose or tie!).

My problem: I want to create a standalone app for each of these projects,
to make it easier to share with the rest of the world.

I've tried fiddling with mzc at the Mac OSX terminal command line, but no
luck.

I also tried setting language level to "module" , putting at the top of my
connectfour.scm file
(module connectfour mzscheme

and at the end of the file, a close ).

But now
1) how do I tell it to use the draw.ss teachpack?
2) why do I get the error message
load-handler: expected a 'module' declaration for
'connectfour' in
"...big long path name/connectfour.scm", but found something else

Thanks so much for your help
(and thanks for writing HtDP, I've learned a lot about programming!)

--Joshua Zucker
Castilleja School
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.castilleja.org