[plt-scheme] Using mred -z

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 7 08:30:26 EST 2004

At Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:10:41 -0500, Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy wrote:
> When I run the following sample program (taken from the start of the
> MrEd documentation) by running "mred -z" at a X11 terminal (OS X) and
> then typing each expression into the terminal REPL, mred pops up a
> window with a button, but clicking the button has no effect.

You could evaluate `(current-eventspace (make-eventspace))' in the REPL.

The -z REPL runs in MrEd's main thread, which is also the handler
thread for the main eventspace. Since the handler thread is busy with
the REPL, it can't service GUI events. One way around this problem, as
above, is to create a new eventspace (which has its own handler thread)
for GUI interactions.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.