[plt-scheme] Re: Visual Studio .NET ...easier than PLT Scheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 30 15:46:08 EST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 3:34 PM, Guenther Schmidt wrote:

> 2. It's isn't realy only about a Visual UI for UI design, it's also
> about a richer widget set, that would be nice.

Duly noted. Make examples.

> 3. Debugging and breakpoints would also be nice.

That's available, but yes we need it for full Scheme. Future work.

> 4. DrScheme isn't realy for "Dummies" and yes *I* am one.

That's not true. VS is not for dummies. It's for people who wish to
stay dummies.

> 5. Not *having* to build everything from scratch, but having a rich,
> semi-standadarized framework would also help. I do know that a
> framework does exist for PLT Scheme, but keep the for "Dummies" in
> mind here.

That's a good proposal. We should provide a "framework" for getting
standard windowy things up and running with a single key stroke or
mouse click.

> Scheme apparently does give everyone the possibility to tailor the
> language to suit ones needs. That's wonderful, but that comes with a
> problem, you need the skill to do it.
>
> 6. Adding more editing features would also very nice.

Noted. Examples please.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.