[plt-scheme] Re: An Editors Tale

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 17:14:41 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:46:05PM +0100, Michael Sperber wrote:
> I'm certainly deeply entrenched in PLT lore, and you keep saying that,
> but I'm still interested to know where precisely your troubles are.
> I've taught many first-semester students, many of whom had no trouble
> figuring out the PLT GUI stuff and wrote quite sophisticated code
> using it.

I suspect that he may be having trouble with the level of indirection
that "programmed" GUI interfaces impose. In the end, you're trying to
create a graphical element. There are two major ways to do that: Draw it
by hand, or develop a formula/code/expression that draws it for you.
Languages like MrEd, Logo, and METAPOST take the latter approach, and
some people really enjoy it. But other folks prefer to *draw* the
elements, like you do in Visual Studio, Adobe Illustrator, or the GIMP.

Being able to visualize and express graphics as formulae is a skill. For
some people, it's very difficult or frustrating to acquire that skill.
For others, it's much easier and more rewarding than manually drawing.
Bradd W. Szonye

Posted on the users mailing list.