[plt-scheme] An Editors Tale

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 09:09:18 EST 2004

Tim, look for the message on Spy from Daniel.
He worked on the Python extension.

Here is my take on Python after working through
this "exercise": Python pretends to be an OO-based
language yet it is really a hashtable-based that
creates an illusion of OO-oriented programming.
For simple programs, this works all right but
most Pythonistas seem to actually exploit the
translucent nature of objects and classes. It
is a hopeless task to reason about modules or
program pieces in this language.

My original hope was that we could (1) provide
Pythonistas with a good GUI PDE and (2) attract
some of them to work on our Python implementation
and to import some of Python's numerous libraries.

Daniel and Philippe had a short paper at Scheme 2003.
We will put it on NU's publication's web site and
advertise it. They have also submitted a blurb to
Python 2004. We'll see whether the Pythonistas
take to it.

If you do have left-over time, take a look at the
libraries that you'd use most in other projects
and see whether you can improve them.

Thanks for the offer and interest -- Matthias