[plt-scheme] An Editors Tale

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 12:50:51 EST 2004

--- Grant Miner <mine0057 at mrs.umn.edu> wrote:
> Obviously we need more man power, one
> way to get that is to
> get the Python programmers.  So we have a chicken
> and egg problem.

Do you mean convert the Python programmers to Scheme?
That is certainly a noble goal ;-)  However if you
simply want a nicer GUI there are a few other
alternatives:

1.  The Python KDE bindings are generated using a tool
called SIP:
  http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/index.php
One could modify SIP to output Scheme bindings.

2.  The Python GTK bindings use the same idea, but a
different code generator:

http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=show&file=faq01.011.htp

3. wxPython uses SWIG.  Half the work has already been
done for you!

This article should be required reading for anyone
attempting to wrap a GUI toolkit:

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-Design-1/SWT-Design-1.html

(Or read my summary: wrap the C interface directly, do
the higher-level stuff in Scheme.)

HTH,
Noel

=====