[plt-scheme] Memory problem on Mac OS

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Mon Jan 5 10:08:26 EST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 7:08 PM, Connor Ferguson wrote:

> I was executing the program tie-dyed from section 11.3.2 of HTDP and I
> received an error message in a new window that said "Out of Memory!"
> and
> gave one button option, Quit.
>
> I am working on a Mac G4 running Mac OS 9.2.2 with version 204 of
> DrScheme.
> I have allocated 31000k to the application and my RAM is 512 MB. I am
> not
> running any other applications at the time, I have a lot of hard disk
> space
> and Virtual Memory is turned off. I was running with Virtual Memory on
> and
> it gave me this message, so I turned it off and restarted and it still
> gave
> me the above message.
>
> I also had this problem when I was first starting with drawing on a
> canvas
> from earlier in HTDP. I simply increased the memory a lot and it
> worked. But
> I am wondering if DrScheme is one of those applications that doesn't
> like
> too much memory. If so, then what do I do for increasing the memory
> when I
> get this message? It is extremely frustrating, but I have learned to
> save
> after every line of code I type.

DrScheme uses great galloping buckets of memory.  I would advise you,
for a machine with 512 MB and running OS 9, to set DrScheme's memory
partition to between 150 and 350 megabytes (150000 to 350000).

Also: This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I believe DrScheme
will be happier and more stable running under OS X.  Under OS X, for
instance, you will never again have to set memory allocations for any
application, ever.

As additional incentive, we no longer actively support the OS 9
platform, so it's difficult for us to help users that have problems
with this version of DrScheme.

I agree that the situation you describe is near-intolerable, and I
sympathize with your problem.

Thanks for using drscheme!

john clements

Posted on the users mailing list.