[plt-scheme] plt web server leak

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 19:55:40 EST 2004

You may recall the recent messages concerning an apparent memory leak
in the plt web server. After a couple of days of investigating this
problem, it turns out that there is no memory leak in the server.
Instead, the server allocates a lot of memory per servlet and servlet
suspension, and as a result, a heavy load on the server quickly
consumes the memory when no connection ever completes the interaction
chain. The problem is mostly due to (1) a relatively naive resource
management strategy in the server -- we use only time-outs to control a
servlet's life span -- and (2) a few structural flaws in the language.
We are investigating (1), which is the larger factor, and hope to come
up with alternatives soon.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.