[plt-scheme] Re: HOWTO: SchemeQL + MySQL on OS X

From: David J. Neu (djneu at att.net)
Date: Mon Feb 9 18:23:42 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'd like to echo all of the positive comments about the PLT tool suite
and ...

I was just about to post a similar question about error messages.

I'm using mzscheme for developing cgi-bin scripts, and was wondering
if there is anyway to grab the file and line number at which an error

Many thanks in advance!

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:44:49PM -0500, Dan Winkler wrote:
> I'd like to respond to this message which I found in the archives about
> SchemeQL, the high level interface from Scheme to relational databases:
> 	http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2003-October/003791.html
> I'd like to give a big thanks to David Herman for sharing his knowledge
> of how to make SchemeQL work with MySQL on OS X.  I followed his
> instructions and I got it to work.
> I'd also like to report a bug which I find very disconcerting.  If I
> call SchemeQL's connect-to-database and pass it the name of a database
> which does not exist, it causes the whole PLT Scheme environment to
> crash and die!  I've verified that SrPersist, which SchemeQL uses, does
> *not* crash when you try to connect to a non-existent database, so I
> think the bug must be in SchemeQL itself.
> I'd like to tell everyone who works on DrScheme that I think you've
> created a marvelous environment.  It just works correctly and
> intuitively virtually all the time for me.  I especially love the
> cross-platform, native-look-and-feel GUI classes.  I don't think any
> other lisp has that.  And you've done such a great job at creating a
> Scheme interface onto the wxWindows library that I find it much easier
> to use than wxPython which is a similar effort for Python.
> I guess the one thing I'd like to see improved in DrScheme would be
> better run time error reporting and debugging.  Sometimes I introduce
> an error and although Dr. Scheme will tell me something's wrong I can't
> glean any useful information from the error message.  As a result, I
> rely on making small changes at a time so when something goes wrong I
> know it's related to whatever I just changed.  If someone were to
> introduce a random error into my large program or if I tried to make
> many changes at once, I think I'd never be able to debug it.
> I'd like to close with a recommendation for a great programmer's editor
> which I use with DrScheme.  It's Leo, the programmer's editor and
> outliner, which you can get for free here: http://leo.sourceforge.net/
> Leo lets you write your programs in outline form so that you can hide
> complexity by using hierarchy.  It automatically writes your program
> out in a flat file which can be loaded into traditional tools such as
> DrScheme.  I wouldn't want to program any other way -- Leo + DrScheme
> is the best as far as I'm concerned.  Check it out!
> -- Dan

Posted on the users mailing list.