[plt-scheme] Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 03:55:27 EST 2004

For me, the number one thing i don't like about the drscheme editor is
that there is no tab completion.  This slows me down by over a factor
of 2.  I find it faster to develop routines in guile/emacs, and cut &
paste them into drscheme, then to type them in directly.

Note this is not just about  typing effiency.  This is also about
library lookups.  so for example, if i want to convert a number to
something, i browse the list of what types of conversions are built in
by typing "number{tab} {tab}".  It's less critical if you already have
R5RS and all the libraries memorized.

Corey

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:03:09 -0500, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Okay, I am not interested in random statements like "I like my Emacs
> better." So do I. I know that DrScheme isn't Emacs. Something like "I
> miss tagging" or "I miss a cvs mode" or "I miss a spell checker" is
> useful.
>
> -- Matthias
>

> On Dec 9, 2004, at 9:53 PM, Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy wrote:
>
> >  For list-related administrative tasks:
> >

> > On Dec 9, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Daniel Hagerty wrote:
> >>     Try C-u M-x run-scheme and feed it "mred -z" as your scheme
> >> intepreter.  This should *probably* fit within the standard inferior
> >> scheme mode for emacs, but I haven't tried beating on it very hard.
> >
> > I've tried the mred sequence suggested above.  When using mred for GUI
> > development, I've found that it doesn't really work, due to how
> > eventspaces interact by default with the terminal repl.
> >
> > I instead recommend using [[ the name of a file holding ]] the
> > following shell script as the argument to RUN-SCHEME
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > ~/bin/PLT/bin/mred -e "(current-eventspace (make-eventspace))" -z $@
> >
> > -Felix, who is keeping himself from commenting on the virtues of
> > DrScheme versus those of Emacs.
> >
> > ----
> > "The 6 quarts of cream of mushroom soup inside my
> >  wetsuit are still deliciously warm"
> >  -www.redmeat.com

Posted on the users mailing list.