[plt-scheme] Re: Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 13:54:34 EST 2004

karczma at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
>> Well, not having anything to do with you, I would also like to know
>> why. You see, your indecent, almost insulting comparisons have been
>> answered in a nice manner, the PLT people want to know what are your
>> *real* needs.

Which I've explained: I'm not going to abandon the general-purpose and
ubiquitous tools I use for similar tasks, just to get a few neat
features. If you want me to use your stuff, you'd better let me use it
with Vim, perl, etc., or you'd better offer a compelling reason to
switch full-time. It's not worth the aggravation to learn a whole new
editor that I can only use for one specific task, for example.

Jacob Matthews wrote:
> Obviously I can't answer for Bradd, but I've found two cases where
> files with snips in them can become annoying:
> 1) When I want to edit a program quickly to change a character or a
> string or something, I'd rather just launch vim or pico and be done with
> it. If the file isn't plain text, I have to launch DrScheme instead.
> 2) I'm frequently SSHed into my work computer without X forwarding
> enabled. MrEd won't run without X forwarding enabled, so I can neither
> edit my source files nor run my programs in this situation if they've
> got fancy snip%s in them (even if the program I want to run is a
> script that doesn't have anything to do with X). This is a real
> practical problem for me.

These are specific examples of the general case:

If you're locked into a specific tool, you're stuck with that tool's
limitations. If MrEd doesn't work on your configuration, you can't
access snips with MrEd, and you can't replace it with another tool.
Bradd W. Szonye

Posted on the users mailing list.