[plt-scheme] Re: Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 13:54:34 EST 2004

karczma at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
>> Well, not having anything to do with you, I would also like to know
>> why. You see, your indecent, almost insulting comparisons have been
>> answered in a nice manner, the PLT people want to know what are your
>> *real* needs.

Which I've explained: I'm not going to abandon the general-purpose and
ubiquitous tools I use for similar tasks, just to get a few neat
features. If you want me to use your stuff, you'd better let me use it
with Vim, perl, etc., or you'd better offer a compelling reason to
switch full-time. It's not worth the aggravation to learn a whole new
editor that I can only use for one specific task, for example.

Jacob Matthews wrote:
> Obviously I can't answer for Bradd, but I've found two cases where
> files with snips in them can become annoying:
>
> 1) When I want to edit a program quickly to change a character or a
> string or something, I'd rather just launch vim or pico and be done with
> it. If the file isn't plain text, I have to launch DrScheme instead.
> 2) I'm frequently SSHed into my work computer without X forwarding
> enabled. MrEd won't run without X forwarding enabled, so I can neither
> edit my source files nor run my programs in this situation if they've
> got fancy snip%s in them (even if the program I want to run is a
> script that doesn't have anything to do with X). This is a real
> practical problem for me.

These are specific examples of the general case:

If you're locked into a specific tool, you're stuck with that tool's
limitations. If MrEd doesn't work on your configuration, you can't
access snips with MrEd, and you can't replace it with another tool.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd