[plt-scheme] [Ann] Common Larceny alpha

From: William D Clinger (will at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 8 11:23:47 EST 2004

Matthias Felleisen quoting Joe Duffy:
> > Does Common Larcency ship with both an interpreter and compiler? If
> > so, do
> > you compile Scheme->IL, or some intermediary such as C#?
>
> A direct compiler only.

We compile Scheme to IL, which is an intermediary that is
later compiled by Microsoft's JIT compiler.

> Will Clinger has promised to write a paper with Joe and the students
> who made technical contributions. In general, I would like to add that
> if the OO people hadn't forgotten what they community knew in the 60s
> and 70s, you wouldn't contrast 'functional' and 'object-oriented', and
> the designers of abstract (or virtual) machines would probably
> accommodate both more easily.

In the meantime, here are a couple of papers on the subject.
The first was written by Microsoft people, so you have to read
between the lines.

    http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~tsa/crgpapers/CLR.pdf
    http://docs.msdnaa.net/ark/Webfiles/WhitePapers/babel01.pdf

Will