[plt-scheme] Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 21:41:33 EST 2004

Robby Findler wrote:
> Please. This is completely different. MS says "we don't tell you the
> format and we're gonig to change it so that any tools you might build
> will fail in the next release." PLT says "The format is completely
> open. In fact, we give you a program that reads it into an _object_
> and lets you manipulate the object." If you want to take that object,
> write a (trivial) program to write the data back into a file so you
> can re-parse it, go ahead.

This is one of the most bizarre uses of "open" I've ever seen. Providing
a tool to manipulate an opaque format doesn't make it any less opaque.
Note that Microsoft scripting tools let you do basically the same thing.
You're shouting how different you are, yet the description sounds not at
all different.

> But why?

You really need to ask?
--