[plt-scheme] Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 19:10:13 EST 2004

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> And then there are some who will not be happy until they can run
> emacs|vim out of DrScheme and get the rest, too. I know we did this
> for sirmail, so it might be possible. But it's certainly not a
> proposal for improving the editor that we have.

Correct -- but I thought the request was how to improve the IDE overall,
not just the editor, and IMO that requires support for alternative
editors like Emacs and Vim. I don't believe that any IDE can compete
with a dedicated editor unless it lets you plug the dedicated editor
into the framework.

Note that features have very little to do with my belief; it's the
interface I care about. You could duplicate every Vim feature ever
conceived, and I'd still be unhappy if I had to reprogram my muscle
memory to use them. That's the big problem with forcing somebody to
change editors. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally
reduced the font size in Microsoft Word because that's how it interprets
Ctrl+[ (escape).

> -- I need to point out to those who believe in this architecture that
> they have it backwards. They use Emacs for much more than editing.

That may be true for Emacs users, but it's not true for the vi family.
Indeed, the Vim design explicitly disclaims the integrated-everything
approach of Emacs, preferring to limit itself to editing and browsing.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd