[plt-scheme] Interacting w/ MzScheme

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 18:56:12 EST 2004

On Dec 10, Don Blaheta wrote:

> I understood your argument the first time.  It sounds just like all
> the other application developers that say "you can access the file
> all you want, as long as you do it with our tools."  When Microsoft
> says stuff like that, a lot of us argue that it's a bad thing.  Why
> should it be okay when PLT says it?

There are some important differences: as an experiment to demonstrate
the difference, try to go through the mred code & comments, figure out
the format, document it and publish together with some demonstrations
and utilities.  Repeat with some MS proprietary format.  Now make
these two results publicly available, wait a few days and observe the
reaction of the two camps.

More seriously, DrScheme is just a MrEd program, so everything that
can be done in DrScheme can also be done without it.  That handin code
is an example of this.  You can argue about the deficiencies of the
interface, but this is light years away from "MS stuff".