[plt-scheme] PLT libraries with Gambit

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Dec 5 11:29:51 EST 2004

Joel Reymont <joelr at well.com> writes at 16:08 05-Dec-2004 +0000:
> So assuming that I were packing to text how would I know which
> collections in PLT are R5RS compatible?

The PLT collections are mostly PLT-specific.  However, a few of them are
PLT-specific packagings of portable code libraries (e.g., the SSAX XML
parser), and the "srfi" collection implements various SRFIs
("http://srfi.schemers.org/") that are also implemented for many other
Schemes.

If you think Scheme holds a special place in the heart of the
application you envision, but you're not sure which Scheme
implementation to use, I suggest rapid-prototyping with PLT first.  You
may wish to code your game/business logic mostly in R5RS, but don't be
afraid to use the PLT "net" collection and PLT waitables and threads.
(If you have to switch Scheme implementations, or switch the kind of
network I/O you do with PLT, you'll probably want to write your network
I/O code over from scratch anyway.  In the meantime, you're rapidly up
with a working implementation of your protocol.)

Posted on the users mailing list.