[plt-scheme] *.zo File Format

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 19 15:49:32 EDT 2004

On Apr 19, Robby Findler wrote:
> > 2.  I imagine *.zo files are configuration-dependent
> > (i.e., presence or omission of certain packages will
> > render certain *.zo files nonfunctional).
>
> Only if the .ss files weren't functional.
>
> FWIW, we include .zo files in our regular distributions [...]

In addition, when the releases are built, there is a script that makes
sure that the system is in a working state -- so there are no
unsatisfied dependencies.  This means that it is best to stick with
the configurations that we build -- a mzscheme and the plt-scheme
configurations.

Also -- the Linux installation script is basically extracting an
embedded tgz, and adds links in the right places.  If building debian
packages is simple enough to do as a wrapper similar to the script,
and if it is possible to do this on a RH system (actually FC), then I
can add that to our process.  (I intend to add rpms at some point
following the same approach.)