[plt-scheme] extending MrEd?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 11 09:42:44 EDT 2004

At Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:09:36 -0500 (CDT), Todd Gillespie wrote:
> I need to add support for wxGrid, wxTreeCtrl, & wxCalendarCtrl, as well as
> their associated controls.  I've dug around enough in the source to be
> properly daunted.  Is anyone else working on this already, or would be
> interested in helping out?

Do you mean adding new wxWindows code to MrEd? If so, there are several
obstacles, including the mismatch between the old wxWindows internals
in MrEd and the newer wxWindows, making GC works properly with the new
C++ code, ensuring that its event processing is compatible with MrEd,
and extending various Scheme modules to access the new code (including
`#%mred-kernel', `(lib "kernel.ss" "mred" "private")', and `(lib
"mred.ss" "mred")').

In the case of wxTreeCtrl, (lib "hierlist.ss" "hierlist") probably does
what you need.

For wxCalendarCtrl, you'd probably be able to re-implement it in Scheme
faster than making the C++ code work.

I don't have a good answer for wxGrid. I've often through that a grid%
class should be added to MrEd's editor framework (with text% and
pasteboard%), but no one's done it, yet. Meanwhile, neither integrating
wxGrid nor re-implementing it sounds reasonable.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.