[plt-scheme] named function contracts?

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 10 23:16:19 EDT 2004

You seem to want a name for a flat contract, not a name for a ho
contract. foo? is a flat contract (altho it's implementation as a
predicate is wrapped as a ho contract, but this is a separate thing).

This program:

(module a mzscheme
  (require (lib "contract.ss"))
  (define predicate-contract (any? . -> . boolean?))
  (define (foo? x) (not (eq? 'x x)))
  (provide/contract (foo? predicate-contract)))

(module b mzscheme
  (require (lib "contract.ss"))
  (require a)
  (define (bar? n) (lambda (f) #t))
  (provide/contract (bar? (-> number? (-> (flat-named-contract "foo" foo?) boolean?)))))

(require b)
((bar? 3) 'x)

produces this output:

15.2: b: top-level broke bar?'s contract: (-> number? (-> foo boolean?)): expected <foo>, given: x

One source of additional confusion here: the names of functions that
have contracts on them (like the function "foo?" in this case) come
from the name of the contract (predicate-contract) rather than their
defined name (foo?). I've wished I could do something about this, but I
don't see how this can be improved. It's either no names or those
names, from what I can tell.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.