[plt-scheme] Re: Shared resources for servlets

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 9 17:38:27 EDT 2003

At Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:54:11 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Sep  9, Robby Findler wrote:
> > Whatever you do, don't use sempahores!
>
> Is there any reason (beyond the slightly lower-level interface)
> for semaphores have the same status as radioactive waste now?
>

> > Use waitables and the operations on them.
>
> Semaphores are waitables, no?

Yes, semaphores are waitables.

I just meant that there is a higher level interface that avoids lots of
the problems of semaphores. It won't make all of your problems go away,
but programming with message passing (plus the ability to build complex
waitables from existing waitables) can make your code much simpler.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.