[plt-scheme] %, @, ^, etc.

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Sep 9 12:07:59 EDT 2003

Michael Sperber wrote:
> But if there are *always* stars, you can just leave them out, can't
> you, because they serve no real mnemonic purpose?  *I* don't have an
> objection---*you* disagreed with me :-)

Trying to extract the serious point from the above (if any? :), I've always
appreciated the presence of the *stars* when reading someone else's code, or
even my own code if I don't remember all its particulars.

The mnemonic purpose, among other things, is to say "don't bother looking in
the local lexical context for the definition of this variable - you ain't
gonna find it".  That can be pretty useful.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.