[plt-scheme] Using one defined syntax from inside other defined syntax

From: Jim Witte (jswitte at bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Oct 29 23:30:53 EST 2003

Hi,

   Can you use lambdas and syntax transformers you've defined from
within the body of other syntax transformers, if those transformers
appear *inside* other defined lambda?  I'm trying to figure out why
ParentheC (a *very* simply scheme-to-C conversion program; look at
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/c311/notes.html) doesn't work under
DrScheme (it works under Chez).

   The file ParentheC.ss defines several syntax extensions for defining
unions of expressions and function definitions.  The first error that
pops up is that one syntax-case transformer (which is inside the lambda
expression define-union) references a lambda defined earlier
(robust-syntax:unions).  The define-union syntax is used as follows:

(define-union exp
   (const c)
   (var x)
   ...)

   Where exp is a tag for a particular type of union, and the lists
after it are different forms it can take (in (<tag> <var ...>) form).
The code for what each of these cases does is defined using a different
syntax-definition, union-case.  Sample code that will compile under
Chez with ParentheC can be found at:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/l/www/classes/c311/ass9.html

   Using a lambda from within an "ordinary" (top-level) syntax-rules
definition works in DrScheme, but I really haven't a clue how a
syntax-case definition that's inside a lambda should behave, or why a
reference to an outside lambda wouldn't work from within such a
transformer.  If I bring the definition for r obust-syntax:unions
inside the define-union lambda, that error disappears, but another one
(involving the function valid-symbol-set) pops up.  I suppose I could
stick all the functions used by define-union inside the lambda, but
some if not all of these functions are used by the other syntax
transformers.  Is this apparent access to top-level definitions from
within transformers (but apparently only one's that appear within other
lambdas..) an extension of Chez that isn't standard RSR5?

Student of Dan "bend-your-mind" Friedman..
Jim Witte

Posted on the users mailing list.