[plt-scheme] Schemeql efficiency of (finite-cursor->list cur)

From: <Rohan Nicholls (rohan.nicholls at answerweb.nl)
Date: Tue Oct 7 06:38:11 EDT 2003

I have been googling around and have not found anything on this, so
here goes.

How efficient is the (finite-cursor->list cur) function?  I am
wondering because when messing with db access objects and sql server
there is a large speed increase, and I am wondering if the same holds
true with the above.  More explanation below...

When using ado objects, it is a huge speed advantage to use the
getrows() method, which basically takes the data set of a recordset
and puts it into a two dimensional array.

The normal way of accessing recordsets would be something like:

while (!rs.eof) {
	do stuff with record
	rs.movenext()
}

but this incurs the overhead of the recordset (large), and can make things
very slow, while after getting the column names from the recordset and
then throwing the recordset into an array and manipulating the array
*massively* speeds up the execution of code.

So does this apply to schemeql cursors as well, or is the schemql
cursor overhead not that much?

I think that covers it,

thanks in advance,

rohan