[plt-scheme] New syntax colorer and parenthesis highlighter have arrived

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Nov 5 23:23:01 EST 2003

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 07:19 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> >
> > So here's an idle question which I doubt is anything new: couldn't
> > the lexical colorer use some of the info from the last run of "Check
> > Syntax" (if any) to improve its knowledge?  Not that I think this
> > will be "necessary" in any sense, since I'll be happy just to have
> > the basic lexical coloring.
> >

> Do you really not use alpha-renaming? I also use the arrow tacking when
> I explore a program that I don't know well. It's an extremely simple
> flow diagram but often enough to navigate the program in a meaningful
> manner.

I use those features, and think they're very useful.  I've used the arrows
in particular to impress upon some non-Schemers just how primitive their
excuses for GUI tools are.  ;)

What I meant is that I'm "happy just to have the basic lexical coloring", as
compared to having an uncolored display, or Check Syntax coloring that's no
longer up to date.

I'm used to editing in other syntax-highlighting GUI editors, and I find
that black & white code is harder for me to read.  It will be nice to have
some coloring all the time, and not to have to press "Check Syntax" just to
get updated coloring, even when I don't need the fancier features.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.