[plt-scheme] New syntax colorer and parenthesis highlighter have arrived

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Nov 5 19:19:39 EST 2003

> For those of you following DrScheme in cvs, I have just exp tagged my
> modifications to DrScheme for on-the-fly syntax coloring and
> parenthesis highlighting.

Fantastic news!

> The on-the-fly syntax coloring is lexically based, which means that
> identifiers, comments, strings, parentheses, etc. can all be colored
> differently.  Furthermore, the coloring is always accurate and it
> operates in the background so major lexical changes (such as opening a
> string) will eventually display correctly without interfering with the
> interactive session.

Perfect.

> Unlike the "Check Syntax" coloring tool, the lexical colorer cannot
> determine whether an identifier is a datum, variable or macro call.
> In an effort to approximate some of this support, identifiers are
> colored as keywords if they appear in the indenting lists
> (Preferences->Editing->Indenting).  Also unlike "Check Syntax",
> the lexical colorer can correctly identify comments.

So here's an idle question which I doubt is anything new: couldn't the
lexical colorer use some of the info from the last run of "Check Syntax" (if
any) to improve its knowledge?  Not that I think this will be "necessary" in
any sense, since I'll be happy just to have the basic lexical coloring.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.