[plt-scheme] DrScheme online syntax highlighting

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 3 08:33:31 EST 2003

It appears that we've duplicated efforts, here.

At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:15:43 -0500, Daniel Silva wrote:
> By the way, I noticed that there is a syntax-color collection.  How does
> that work?

Scott Owens has been working on syntax coloring on and off for the last
few months --- especially "on" for the last couple of weeks. I thought
this was widely known, but I guess we haven't publicized Scott's
efforts well enough.

Scott's tool works on the whole buffer, and it builds on
"parser-tools", so it's easily applied to different languages. It's
fast, but it runs in the background just in case (so it works fine on,
say, "mred.ss").

Unlike every other syntax-coloring tool I've used, Scott's tool doesn't
misrepresent syntax. If it paints text string-green, then the text
really is inside a string (with respect to the whole buffer). The
colorer is based on a lexer that exactly matches MzScheme's read-level
syntax. The tool also plays nicely with non-text syntax.

The main reason that Scott hasn't released his tool is that he's still
refining it to replace the parenthesis matcher. (The old one is a
pathological lier. :) There are also issues in cooperating with other
tools that color program text. But it looks like it will be ready soon.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.