eq and hashing (was Re: [plt-scheme] How to make unit functors?)

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu May 29 16:29:03 EDT 2003

At Thu, 29 May 2003 16:21:34 -0400, "Joe Marshall" wrote:
> > Then clicking "Execute" in DrScheme wouldn't release all of the
> > resources used by the previous run of a program under development. So
> > it would be really bad.
>
> How bad could it be?

Arbitrarily bad...

> (Yes, I understand the space issues, but how long does it take to
> type megabytes of never-before-seen interned symbols?)

... See previous reply about `read', `string->symbol', etc. Throw in
uses of `random' to make the growth as bad as you want.

Granted, this is not likely to be much of an issue in the absence of
malicious programs. But MzScheme is part of an experiment in protecting
against malicious programs.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.