eq and hashing (was Re: [plt-scheme] How to make unit functors?)

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu May 29 16:19:56 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 04:09  PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Thu, 29 May 2003 13:21:27 -0400, John Clements wrote:
>> Just to have the question out there:  how bad would it be never to
>> collect (the strings representing) symbols?
>
> Then clicking "Execute" in DrScheme wouldn't release all of the
> resources used by the previous run of a program under development. So
> it would be really bad.

I'm convinced that this the current behavior is correct.  Out of
curiosity, then: if MzScheme left the symbols in the table, wouldn't
the subsequent run of the program simply attach to the existing
symbols?  Or is the world organized in such a way that the release of
all resources is a more global action/invariant than the behavior of
the symbol table?

Just trying to clear up my own (mis)understanding,

john

Posted on the users mailing list.