eq and hashing (was Re: [plt-scheme] How to make unit functors?)

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu May 29 15:29:37 EDT 2003

At Thu, 29 May 2003 14:07:33 -0400, "Joe Marshall" wrote:
> Wouldn't it suffice to make symbol hashing insensitive to their physical
> address?

Yes, that seems like it would be a nice way to get around the problem!
(only for interned symbols, of course).

So, the hash for an interned symbol could be computed from its printed
representation. I suspect that eq-hash-code is really (something like)
address-of, so I'm not sure how this affects the performance, but at
least it only affects the eq-hash-code users.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.