[plt-scheme] cross platform data persistence

From: Francisco Solsona (solsona at acm.org)
Date: Tue May 20 18:59:09 EDT 2003

Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls at informaat.nl> writes:

[...]

> I would love some advice on this, as usually I use relational db's for
> this, but there are none that operate on all the platforms that plt
> does, and I think transparency is the most important issue at the
> moment, which unfortunately rdbms files are not.  Which brings up
> another question.   Is there a rdbms implemented in scheme?  A quick
> google has revealed projects planning to but no results, yet.  I know
> nothing about implementing databases, how difficult would it be?  Any
> pointers?

<shameless advertisement warning:saw> How about ODBC via SrPersist, or
better yet, SchemeQL?  I'm pretty sure there most be at least a couple
DBMSs that work on Mac*, and if you restrict your database interaction
to SQL92, it should be fairly easy to move between DBMSs.

SrPersist ships with PLT Scheme, and you can get SchemeQL from
sourceforge:

   http://schematics.sf.net

I've never used Mac*, though. :-(
</saw>

OTOH, SLIB supports relational databases:

        http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/slib_5.html#SEC117

HTH,
--Francisco