[plt-scheme] ipc among mzscheme processes

From: Edwin Zacharias (ehz4 at yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 11 03:38:03 EDT 2003

I'm writing a basic messaging system to send messages between agents on
different machines.  An agent is similar to a servlet in the PLT web server
except it runs continually in its own thread (concurrent state machine).  It
uses an extendable binary format, but I often send sexp with it to test.

This is basicly what you described except the base message format is language
independant - the header is binary and you specify the language of the data
with an integer.  The full header is:

  to from id language length

Everything is an integer.  Server to server messages are sent from 0 to 0.

It sounds like exactly what you are looking for, so perhaps we could define a
common protocol.  It's not very far yet, but I'd be happy to share code.

On a side note, I'm having a trouble grasping the ways of using modules and
units the proper way.  I've read Mathew Flatt's thesis and the smaller paper on
them, but I don't quite understand how to integrate units with modules.  If
someone could recommend a resource I'd appreciate it.

- Edwin