[plt-scheme] Compiling exp

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 25 18:00:44 EST 2003

I have a bug and a question. Here is what I did :

"
  export PLTCOLLECTS=/home/gmarceau/collects
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.plt-scheme.org:/cvs login
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.plt-scheme.org:/cvs checkout -r exp plt
  cd plt/src
  ./configure --prefix=/home/gmarceau
  make
  make install
"

The first line ("export PLTCOLLECTS...") was a mistake. I did not
realize it would affect the installation process. The directory
/home/gmarceau/collects contains the source code of the tool I am
developing. It also contains a modified version of eopl/datatype.ss
which I'm using to override the standard version.

The installation procedure gallantly overwrote my datatype.ss with the
default version. I did not expect that, and I had to fetch a fresh
version of my work from my backups. Maybe this behavior should be
considered a bug in the installation script.

The installation script also had problem with my bin directory.

"
  setting PLTHOME to "/home/gmarceau" in scripts:
   updating bin/mozilla
  with-output-to-file: cannot open output
  file: "/home/gmarceau/bin/mozilla" (Permission denied; errno=13)
  make[1]: *** [copy-finish] Error 1
"

~/bin/mozilla is a symlink of my local compilation of mozilla, which is
read-only. Since there is no mention of PLTHOME in the mozilla binary,
its presence should not prevents the DrScheme installation from moving on.

Finally, is there a way to change the target collect directory of my
source tree without downloading the sources anew? I ran :
  export PLTCOLLECTS=; make clean; ./configure --prefix=/home/gmarceau; make; make install

But the install still insisted the put the collections at
/home/gmarceau/collects rather than at their default location.

Thanks

--
  "In Google non est, ergo non est."

- Guillaume