[plt-scheme] DRScheme LGPL License Question

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 17:26:54 EST 2003

At Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:22:51 -0800 (PST), Shawn Legrand wrote:
> If I create a commercial windows application using Dr Scheme and I
> create a stand-alone executable (where the runtime engine is part of
> the .exe but the DLLs are separate), do I still fall under the
> condition that I have to provide the source or let the consumer
> reverse-engineer my application code?

Certainly not. That's analogous to linking an unmodified glibc into
your application, which would not force you into releasing your code.

Put another way, if you treat DrScheme in pretty much the same way you
treat gcc (i.e., use it as a tool to build applications without
modifying the tool), the licensing result is the same.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.