[plt-scheme] package management issues

From: Brent Fulgham (brent.fulgham at xpsystems.com)
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:30:35 EST 2003

> How do the Debian people package .plt files?
>
> Currently, I create native packages that put .plt files in a directory
> called /usr/lib/plt/add-ons and then run setup-plt in the post-install
> script.  The cleanup is done in another script that is run on package
> removal.  This solution is ugly but anything else seems to require a
> lot of hacking.

This is effectively what Debian does, as well.  However, I've never
been motivated enough to package the external PLT packages for use
because of the problems already discussed.  I would effectively have
to create a wrapper for the PLT code that declared the dependencies,
etc.  This would be useful work for the users' perspective, but I've
been holding off until I had time to build something more automated.

Many of the X-Window Manager themes from themes.org can be automatically
packaged into Deb's (I hear), in some automated fashion.  My goal would
be to do something similar for Debian (modulo time).

-Brent

Posted on the users mailing list.