[plt-scheme] Example from "The Scheme Programming Language" fails

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 11:15:57 EDT 2003

Ed Cavazos wrote:
> So I guess the question I have now is...
>
> Is the "(syntax (field ...))" code supposed to "expand" into a list?
>
> Shouldn't this example work straight out of the book though?
> Chapter 8 has no reference to 'syntax->list'.

I didn't know the answer to this, but since TSPL2 is talking about Chez
Scheme, I googled for for '"syntax->list" plt chez'.  This brought up a
message from Matthew Flatt at
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2002-July/000248.html :

   "In Chez, parentheses within syntax produce pairs. In MzScheme, they
produce syntax objects. You can fix the above program by changing the second
argument to `map' from (syntax (binding ...)) to (syntax->list (syntax
(binding ...)))"

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.