[plt-scheme] drscheme syntax coloring in normal editing?

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 27 20:04:33 EDT 2003

At Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:55:20 -0700, Michael Vanier wrote:

> Is there any way to get something like emacs' syntax-coloring in DrScheme
> during normal editing (i.e. not only during a check syntax request)?  If
> not, consider this a feature request.  This would make using DrScheme
> considerably more pleasant (which is saying a lot, as it's already far and
> away my favorite scheme development environment).

There have been many such requests over the years. It just isn't
something that we have the energy for. Given that we have check syntax
that does far more than color the text ala emacs:

  - it is not wrong, unlike emacs (altho emacs seems to have some kind
    of background thread that patches things up nowadays)

  - it allows alpha renaming

  - it tells you about module imports

  - it shows you the tail-call structure of your program

it just doesn't seem worth to hack something in.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.