[plt-scheme] Incremental GC

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 17 15:37:16 EDT 2003

At Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:42:33 -0400, Brian Campbell wrote:
> I'm using PLT Scheme embedded in a multimedia application, and garbage
> collection is sometimes an issue. I've noticed that the Boehm GC
> supports incremental garbage collection, but I don't know how well that
> would work with PLT Scheme. Would turning incremental garbage
> collection on be possible in PLT Scheme's version of Boehm? How would I
> go about doing that?

As far as I know, there's no particular reason that it won't work.

To enable incremental collection, insert a call to
GC_enable_incremental() somewhere at the beginning of the program.

I tired inserting such a call into main() for MzScheme under Linux. It
didn't crash when running MzScheme's test suite, and the sum of GC
pauses was cut in half, while the total run time went up about 15%
(consistent with incremental collection).

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.