[plt-scheme] Re: What's the latest on the Scsh port?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 16 11:53:46 EDT 2003

At Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:42:38 -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > [...] (Instead of driving the shell through pure csh
> > syntax, I use arrow keys, etc.)
>
> Why not use a bindings file?  Upgrading to tcsh seems overkill, but maybe
> you have other reasons.  See http://www.peanuts.org/faq-serve/cache/115.html

It's good to know about bindings files. That doesn't change my main
point, though, about the environment being more than just an text
stream to connected to an interpreter.

At Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:06:33 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Jul 15, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > So, to have a "Scheme shell" that gracefully shifts between
> > interaction and scripting, maybe it helps to think of the
> > interactive shell in a mode other than a stream of language tokens.
>
> Do you have in mind something other than a good relationship with
> readline (to the level of binding scheme functions to shell keys)?

I didn't mean just readline support, but I don't have many specific
ideas. I just suspect that it's wrong to attack the problem by trying
to adapt the programming language.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.