[plt-scheme] What's the latest on the Scsh port?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jul 15 00:12:18 EDT 2003

On Jul 14, Lewis Brown wrote:
> (Seems like this new FFI that's been mentioned would be key.  What
> is it's status?)

The FFI that I mentioned, is something I hacked on the past and still
needs some work to get to a good state...  What it allows you to do is
to just open up a .so file and pull a C function pointer and then use
that.  One thing that you can do with it is instead of opening an .so,
you open `#f', then it uses dlopen with NULL, which opens the program
itself, and this allows you to pull out all kinds of magical pointers
like `stderr', `fprintf' (the libc one) etc -- that might be something
you can use now.  The whole thing is pretty low-level, my goal was a
very thin C layer so the real work should be done where it is easier
to do -- in Scheme.  What's still missing is making this work on
non-Unix, some more C-types support, callbacks, and for the Scheme
level, some automatic thing that will use the compilation FFI thing to
parse header files, open the corresponding .so file and generate a
module with all bindings in it.  Anyway, if that will help you, I can
send you the current version I have.