[plt-scheme] A silly installation question

From: Richard C. Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 10 11:33:38 EDT 2003

Lo, on Thursday, July 10, Jerzy Karczmarczuk did write:

> Lauri Alanko wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:16:20PM +0200, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:
> >
> >>The DrScheme 2.04, Linux version, officially comes only as a RPM.
> >>What do you recommend if I wanted to install it under Debian?
> >
> > "apt-get install drscheme" perhaps?
>
> Are you sure that there is the 2.04 package on Debian somewhere?
> apt-get was the first thing I tried.

Sounds like Jerzy has figured this out, but for others who are
interested: Debian/testing has DrScheme 203; Debian/unstable has
DrScheme 204.  It's not in stable as yet; we'll have to wait for the
next release for that.

Building it from source is not at all difficult, though; just make sure
you have the necessary packages installed.  You'll need libxaw7-dev,
libreadline4, libreadline4-dev, and the openSSL libraries and
headers---I don't remember exactly which packages those are in, and I'm
not at my Debian box right now, so I can't check.

Strictly speaking, readline and openSSL are necessary only for a couple
of extensions.  If you don't have them installed, you will get some
errors when you build DrScheme, but it will build, and everything but
those two features should work.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.