[plt-scheme] Re: Location of MrEd builtin-class definition files

From: Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt at web.de)
Date: Mon Dec 22 11:52:51 EST 2003

Hi Matthew,

thanks again for taking the time.

This is really unfortunate, DrScheme (and Scheme in general) is great, but my problem is that I want/need to develop GUI apps. And those need to be polished. :-(

I have seen some amazing stuff in the games collection, and it seems that quite "polished" apps can be produced with DrScheme.

Does it require me to get deeper into the "Framework" to achieve this?

I don't C but when I can stay within Scheme to do it, then so be it.

Best regards

Guenther

Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:28:13 +0000, Guenther Schmidt wrote:
>
>>I've been trying to get a choice% object to drop down it's list of items at a
>>keystroke. The idea was that the popup/drop-down would be triggered by a mouse-
>>event called via on-sub-window-event.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Is my assumption wrong that the popup can be triggered like this?
>

> Unfortunately, yes. A mouse-event% object that is generated by the GUI
> system is really a wrapper around a low-level event, and it's the
> low-level even that triggers the popup. By overidding methods, you can
> prevent an event from being delivered, but you can't really generate an
> equivalent event.
>

>>Is there any other way?
>

> Not currently. A "popup" method may well make sense, but we'd have to
> add it to the various underlying implementations of choice%. (I'd have
> to look more closely at the Windows and OS X APIs to be sure that a
> "popup" method could work.)
>
> Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.