[plt-scheme] Re: MrED - scrollbars

From: Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt at web.de)
Date: Sun Dec 7 19:36:48 EST 2003

Dear Robby,

I don't think that's too much of a problem realy, there is some logic in that, control elements in a <frame> don't make that much sense.

Thanks for the hint with canvas and editor-canvas, I'll check into that in the morning. What I've seen sofar offered from MrED seems quite sophisticated (or rather let's you do sophisticated things) it's just when you're new to GUIs a HOW-TO would be handy. Eventually I'll just do the good old trial and error thing.

Scheme is rather nice, I mean it.

One additional question, please:

Did I understand it correctly that if I have for instance Visual C Compiler MzScheme would allow me to create *entirely* standalone GUI executables?

Guenther

Robby Findler wrote:

> Sadly, there is no way in our GUI library to put controls (like buttons
> and check boxes) under the control of a scrollbar.
>
> Instead, it sounds like you would be better off using the editor
> hierarchy. You can use one main text% in an editor-canvas% for the
> entire table and then add editor-snip%s (with embedded text% objects)
> for the elements of the table.
>
> Robby
>
> At Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:29:04 +0000, Guenther Schmidt wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been making some progress on MrED and Scheme in general, on this one I'm stuck though:
>>
>>My application (in progress ;-)) has text-fields buttons and so on for entering checks
>>(amount number payee) and a button to save the check (add it to the list of checks), reset
>>the input fields and display the newly created check in a table (outer vertical-pane with
>>horizontal-panes as rows for now).
>>
>>Now as I add the checks naturally the table grows (adding horizontal-pane childreen to the
>>vertical-pane). Now at a certain size I would prefer a scrollbar to appear instead of the
>>pane growing.
>>
>>What classes or elements should I use instead for the above setup?
>>
>>How would you go about displaying elements in a table?
>>
>>Kind regards
>>
>>Guenther

Posted on the users mailing list.