[plt-scheme] Source compiles

From: MJ Ray (markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 25 08:51:04 EDT 2003

On 2003-08-23 11:16:10 +0100 Panagiotis Vossos
<P.Vossos at postgrad.umist.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have put together a generic .spec file for building RPMS for
> drscheme and I don't see the problem; you just need to `cd src' first.
> The configure script there supports the usual `--prefix' option.

No, it's not too hard, but it looks like it can be easier.  The easier
we make it, the more sysadmins will be happy to install it and more
packagers will package it cleanly.  A normal configure and make (or
just a Makefile that works in most cases, taking prefix, destdir etc)
in the top-level makes it easier for them.  Even if you cd src, then
"make install" doesn't do what an autobuilder would expect: you still
have to dance around with the install script higher up, or use (ugh)
perl to hack it as you said.

Perhaps even...

prefix=/usr
destdir=/

install:
	cd src && ./configure --prefix=${prefix} \
	&& make install \
	&& destdir=${destdir} prefix=${prefix} ./install

...would work for everyone?

There may be reasons I don't know, but I thought I'd ask in case it's
been done before or there is a pitfall.  For most of plt-scheme's
design decisions, there is some reason, IME.

       http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at