[plt-scheme] define-union

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 19 08:22:20 EDT 2003

At 9:43 PM -0500 4/18/03, Jacob Matthews wrote:
>If you modify the spec just a little more, you don't need a macro at all.
>You just need to be willing to use regular define rather than introducing
>the new keyword define-union.
>
>(define (union . predicates)
>   (lambda (item) (ormap (lambda (f) (f item)) predicates)))
>
>(define snark? (union foo? bar? number?))

Yes, I could easily have written either of those.  But the goal is to
give students with six weeks of programming experience something as
closely analogous as possible to define-struct.  The fact that it
defines snark? as the disjunction of foo?, bar?, and number? is
almost incidental; that's just the only useful task I could think of
it doing, analogous to define-struct defining a constructor, access
functions, and a type predicate.

At 8:59 PM -0500 4/18/03, Robby Findler wrote:
>FWIW, Matthew, Shriram, Matthias and I've been tossing around ideas
>like that in private and I believe that we now know how to turn data
>definitions and contracts of into checkable artifacts (Ie, the computer
>understands and enforces them rather than just being commented out
>stuff), without having to introduce any new cognative barriers (types
>systems or static analyses or anything like that). Of course, this kind
>of a change requires massive changes to the book to support it so we've
>not yet really started to talk about it too seriously. (plus, there are
>two competing proposals that we will have to meet and talk about).

I'd be interested in being included in these discussions.

				Steve Bloch

Posted on the users mailing list.