[plt-scheme] Finalization

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 16:53:22 EDT 2003

At Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:13:39 +0200, Katsmall the Wise wrote:
> Is there any finalization needed when 'forgetting' about instants of
> classes, or does the garbage collector handle this?

The garbage collector handles everything for the built-in MrEd classes.

Certain Framework classes need "finalization" (e.g., to remove a frame
from a frame group), and it's possible to define a new class that needs
finalization (e.g., if an object opens an I/O port). The collector
certainly takes care of memory management, though, for all classes.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.