[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Michael Vanier (mvanier at cs.caltech.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 26 16:44:56 EDT 2002

OK, this is probably a bit off-topic for the PLT list, so I apologize in
advance.

My subjective opinion ;-) is that if the syntactic issue was the only thing
holding scheme/lisp back, it would have been solved a long time ago.  In
fact, it *was* solved a long time ago.  There is an article on the
evolution of lisp by Richard Gabriel and Guy Steele (I don't have a link,
sorry) where they point out that the idea of designing algolish
(pascal-like) syntaxes for lisp is an idea that gets resurrected every so
often, only to be abandoned when the implementor finally realizes that
s-expression syntax is, indeed, better.  Dylan is one example where the
designers went all the way anyway, and the results are nice.  The drawback
AFAICT is that macro design becomes more complex.

I think the syntactic issue is a big entry barrier.  But beyond that, it's
the pervasively functional nature of scheme and lisp that puts off many
programmers (not me; I love the functional approach).  I believe it's
because it requires the programmer to learn to think in a new way, and most
people resist this, especially in the absence of extremely concrete
evidence that the new way is substantially better.  I believe it *is*
better, but I'm not sure I could convince a die-hard (say) java programmer
of this.

Mike

Posted on the users mailing list.