[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Mike Lin (mikelin at MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 26 10:38:39 EDT 2002

I just want to raise the point that it is rare for large, "real" software
applications to be written entirely in one language or environment. It is
perfectly reasonable and not uncommon to find huge mission-critical
applications with, for example, a Lisp backend, VB UI and Tcl scripting
interface. Besides allowing us to use the best tool at hand for the job, I
think it is arguable that this heterogeneity forces us to observe certain
abstraction barriers and modularity constraints among the various components
of the application.

Not that it doesn't cause big maintenance and design headaches, of course;
but gluing together heterogenous components is part of what software
engineering is all about, and I don't think it's at all clear that we would
on the whole be better off if we all used one programming system.

So I would argue that it is less important for us to have full-featured GTK
bindings than to ensure that we have full-featured and easily accessible
bindings with other programming systems. For example, I was recently
introduced to a little script that generates JNI classes from OCaml modules.
This kind of automation eases the (I consider) inevitable necessity to glue
together components written in different environments; the value of this
automation, if you have ever used Visual Studio .NET, is something that
Microsoft understands very, very well.

-Mike