[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 09:15:08 EDT 2002

--- Jefferson Provost <jp at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I'm in the beginning stages of picking tools for a
> project that will
> need some kind of GUI, so I'm curious what people's
> thoughts are on the
> subject.

My experience is that MrEd is sufficient, but rather
ugly.  For example, on Unix it uses the old Xt toolkit
so no anti-aliased fonts, themes etc.  There hare a
number of efforts to build GTK bindings, but none are
complete.  None aim for MrEd compatability either.

Some thoughts on prettier GUIs:

- The Mozilla cross-platform GUI is reasonably nice.
They have some tech to make binding easier (XPConnect,
XP-COM).

- GTK could be bound using SWIG (comments from those
with more experience with SWIG?)

- The Python bindings for Qt use another automated
binding tool that could be hacked for PLT Scheme.

Noel